Some time ago my nephew (7) started obsessing over the animated TV-show Troll Hunters and found an Etsy store selling the hero’s magic artefact: The Amulet of Daylight.
It was quite pricey but he wanted it so bad that his dad (my brother) asked me if I, by any chance, could be able to make one relatively easy.
I found a shop that sold a cheap 3D model of the amulet here, printed it and gave it as a present. He was overjoyed!
I don’t have a picture of the assembled amulet but the front can be seen here:
The 3D model that I had bought was actually impressively detailed and I had always wanted to play with making nicer looking things so I made it a project to see how far I could push this one with a bit of paint.
After a visit to a WarHammer shop and getting some guidance on how to paint something to look like metal, bought a bunch of paint and got started.
I printed the parts again at the highest details my printer would allow (0.4mm nozzle, 0.1mm layer height), gave it a bit of post-processing with a file, some sandpaper and an exacto knife and started painting.
While my process was definitely not linear and I had a lot of test objects where I tried different techniques, I eventually ended up with a plan, in particular about painting the runes with a glow-in-the-dark paint and using a printed out picture for the back. Making the printed picture look good during daylight and glow nicely in the night was a tricky bit but the best approach I found was to soak the backside of the paper in glow-in-the-dark paint, add an even and very thin layer on the front and manually paint on the stars with a toothpick.
I glued everything together and coated it in an acrylic lacquer and that’s it. Many months condensed into a few paragraphs and I will let the result speak almost for itself, because I must admit that I am very happy with it!